The Red Crescent Society of Tajikistan announces a competition for the vacant position of Water and Sanitation (WatSan) Engineer for Emergency Appeal operation project
Water and Sanitation (WatSan) Engineers for Emergency Appeal operation project in Red Crescent Society of Tajikistan
3-month probation period with a possibility of extension.
The WatSan Engineers will the part of an integrated emergency response team and will be responsible for the design development and execution of all WatSan Projects of Red Crescent Society of Tajikistan (RCST). The WatSan Engineers will ensure quality and design efficiency of all hardware activities under the scope of project assigned/ response plan. In support of the RCST operation, the WatSan Engineers will guide and develop the implementation plan of all WatSan activities assigned. The WatSan Engineers will work closely with the Disaster Management Team of RCST and others to manage necessary steps for guaranteeing that the implementation plan meets the implementation time frame and standards.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
This role carries both technical and management responsibilities. The role will co-ordinate all Watsan activities in conjunction with overall response plan. The WatSan Engineer will be responsible for the direct management of all Watsan hardware activities, including design development, estimation and management of works carried out by RCST. The responsibilities will include
1. Assist RCST to undertake WatSan related technical assessments
2. Development of technical proposals in line with the overall scheme and response plan.
3. The WatSan Engineers is expected to bring on proposals for cost effective and innovative solutions, that are sustainable and in line with response strategy.
4. The WatSan Engineers will be responsible to coordinate the WatSan works with external stakeholders.
5. The WatSan Engineers with represent RCST in technical forums as required.
6. Develop tender documentation for technical tenders.
7. Support the team in technical evaluation of proposals and bids.
8. Provide technical support on contract management and perform quality control activities
9. Ensure that all activities are implemented in a timely manner
10. Make context specific technical recommendations for ongoing and proposed WatSan activities.
11. Provide technical oversight, manage, and coordinate all RCST WatSan activities assigned.
12. Work in close coordination with Operations and Logistics to effectively engage mobilisation and contract management activities.
13. Work with the team to provide timely, quality reporting on the programme and provide regular formal and informal reports and updates to supervisors.
14. Will be responsible for all WatSan field activities and if required will be based in the field for execution and supervision of works.
15. Will be assigned for support activities based on changing needs and requirements.
Duties applicable to all staff
1. Actively work towards the achievement of the Red Cross goals
2. Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
3. Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manage
1. Relevant university degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, hygiene promotion or similar fields or equivalent experience.
2. Any other specialised training on WatSan engineering will be an asset.
1. At least five years of experience in related field, including personnel, budget and financial management to ensure compliance.
2. Field experience in emergency contexts managing humanitarian WatSan/ WASH and/or public health operations.
3. Experience in reporting and proposal writing.
4. Experience working for a humanitarian aid organization in Tajikistan/ Central Asia.
5. Experience of working for Red Cross/Red Crescent.
6. Experience in developing training and facilitating and in preparing and making presentations
WatSan Technical Competencies
1. Knowledge of Humanitarian Sphere standards in practice.
2. Knowledge of local Water and Sanitation technical laws and standards.
3. Water Supply scheme development and execution
4. Household Water Treatment and Safe Storage
5. Excreta Disposal Faecal Sludge Management
6. Solid Waste Management
8. Vector Control
9. Market Assessment
10. Technical Procurement and Contract management
11. Cross Cutting WatSan
Other Core Competencies
1. Knowledge of Red Cross Movement context, principles and values
2. Knowledge of National Society
3. Setting and Quality Programme Management
4. Information Management
5. Resource Management
6. Safety and Security
7. Community engagement and accountability
9. Gender and Inclusion
10. Environmental Sustainability
11. Collaboration and teamwork
12. Conflict Management
13. Interpersonal Communication
14. Cultural awareness
15. Judgement and decision making
16. Motivating Others
17. Personal resilience
Good English is required in addition to Tajik and Russian.
Job Location: Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
Please send your CV/Resume (mentioning position in the subject line) to:
The deadline for applications is March 28, 2022. Please kindly note that the applications sent after this date and time will not be taken into consideration.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. RCST does not enter into correspondence with regard to the reasons for non-selection of candidates.